The fourth issue of The Lost Suns, a five issue comic book mini-series based upon Star Wars: The Old Republic, was released this week. The story picks up where it left off in the last installment, with Theron Shan and Jedi Master Ngani Zho captured by Imperial forces while investigating suspicious activity in the Vesla system.
Editor's Note: The following dissection includes several plot spoilers.
- Opens with Master Zho being tortured by his Imperial captors.
- Master Zho recounts his past for his interrogator.
- After leading several battles against the Empire during the war, Master Zho felt he was too old to continue fighting and retired from the front lines.
- Zho found other ways to contribute to the cause, including agreeing to raise Theron while Satele Shan fought.
- After the Treaty of Coruscant was signed, Zho was given a new assignment: To discover what the Empire planned to do with the systems given up by the Republic within the terms of the treaty.
- Zho snuck into the Vesla system among the millions of slaves that were brought there to help build the Empire's "sun-eating abomination."
- As Zho lived among the slaves and had a firsthand look at their suffering, his focus changed from his secret mission to helping these people.
- Years later, when the super weapon was complete, the Empire tested it on the planets, killing almost all the slaves they had brought there.
- Returning to the present, Theron Shan is being shown around the space station by an Imperial captain.
- The captain calls the sun-eating device a "Sun Razer" and explains that there are six more under construction in the galaxy, one for each system surrendered by the Republic as part of the treaty.
- The Sun Razer draws enormous amounts of matter and energy from the nearby sun, allowing the Empire to build superweapons much more quickly than conventional means.
- Theron is shown several of the superweapons developed by the Sun Razer - The Gauntlet, Emperor's Shadow, Ascendant Spear, The Silencer, The Undying - each with its own devastating ability.
- The captain explains that the peace provided by the treaty is giving the Empire time to complete the Sun Razers across the galaxy and use them to create a significant power advantage over the Republic.
- After explaining the Republic's almost certain defeat once the tentative peace ends, the captain offers Theron an opportunity to switch sides. He explains that a former member of the SIS would be treated well by the Sith.
- Theron turns down the offer. His tour of the facilities ends abruptly and he is hauled off to the station's prison to join Master Zho.
- Teff'ith is shown hiding aboard Theron's ship; she has managed to avoid capture. A time lock activates and gives her access to the ship's armory. She takes out a guard and leaves the ship.
- The Imperial captain reports the situation to Darth Mekhis. Mekhis orders defensive measures in case the prisoners had managed to get word back to the Republic. She orders Zho executed.
- Master Zho explains to Theron that he used the Force burn away the fear and hate he experienced while witnessing the destruction of the planets. That suppression of emotion also caused his memory of the events to be blocked out.
- Theron uses his cybernetic implants to hack into the station's security computer and sets himself and Master Zho free.
- Zho and Theron meet up with Teff'ith and discuss their next move.
- Theron comes to the conclusion that trying to escape and get word to the Republic will provide too much time for Darth Mekhis to build up the defenses around the system.
- They decide to take out the Sun Razer themselves.
A preview of The Lost Suns Part 4 is now available at the official Dark Horse site. The final issue's release is due on October 12. Darth Hater will continue to report on the details as this series unfolds.