Welcome to the new Darth Hater weekly PvP column where we will collect and update the news about PvP that matters to the community. This thread will receive updates periodically throughout the week, so you can refer back to it for new information. If you have any tips on current content that you would like to see featured, send them to email@example.com with the subject line PVP Column: *Subject*.
For the rest, hit the jump.
Patch 1.3 Launches, Brings Debut of Ranked Warzones.
Gabe Amatangelo discusses Ranked Warzones in Game Update 1.3.
Rob Hinkle clarifies the Voidstar tiebreaker mechanic changes in the June29th Q&A.
Allison Berryman asks for your feedback on when the “respawn prone and can’t move” bug happens in PvP Warzones.
New Darth Hater articles:
Notable PvP changes in Patch 1.3 include
- Several major like buffs and debuffs no longer stack with one another. This system effects several debuffs like armor reduction, healing reduction, and accuracy reduction (through abilities like Tracer Missile, Flourish Shot, and Diversion), and buffs like armor increase, healing received increase, and damage dealt increase (through skills like Force Shelter, Kolto Residue, and Bloodthirst).
- An issue that could prevent a team member from properly appearing as a member of the Warzone group has been corrected.
- Attacking characters that enter a room in Voidstar before their team has destroyed its door are now killed.
- Numerous class balance changes.
Around the Forums – Discussion Highlights:
Bestworld (formerly Remedy) of The Bastion presents his newest Sorcerer PvP video.
Bewoulff discusses using compass points instead of “Grass” and “Snow” for referring to objectives in Alderaan Civil War.
lord-durrp asks you what your most satisfying PvP kill is.
PvP guild spotlight:
Prophecy of the Five,
“Zerg is a Republic PvP guild, formed back in the early days of Star Wars Galaxies. Many of us have played together across several MMOs. We’re not big on PvE or Flashpoints. We prefer our opponents to have a pulse.
Always press forward, regardless of the odds. We never retreat, never leave the field of battle to the enemy. We’re there to fight back. No one in is interested in “kill swapping” or babysitting turrets until the clock runs out. Our core principle is that our opponents on Prophecy of the Five deserve the best PvP service the Republic has to offer.
Recruitment happens in Warzones. Look for us, we’ll be watching for you. We don’t care if you fight with us or against us, so long as you show up ready to crack some skulls."
Op-Ed: Server Transfers and PvP Quality
Now that every server has been listed as either a destination or origin server, many players have already made the jump to a new home. The influx of new players to servers has the potential to re-shape the PvP environment for all players involved.
I consider the change to be a net gain for the average PvP player, and for the community at large. I believe that the new opponents and upswing in population on destination servers has contributed to a “PvP renaissance” of sorts, where players cannot always be certain of their opponents’ tactics. In addition, guilds find themselves with new recruits from origin servers, and can now build towards ranked warzones in a position of strength.
Not everyone is in agreement with this position, though (see this thread for example). On some destination servers, newcomers from origin servers have sometimes been met with hostility as some players claim that the destination server was fine before they arrived.
Poll Question: 7/9/12 - Single Choice
- It became much better 60.3%
- It became somewhat better 19%
- No noticeable change 6.3%
- It became somewhat worse 11.1%
- It became much worse 3.2%
This poll has ended as of 7/15/2012 12:00:00 AM
Got a tip for some interesting PvP news or content? Send it along to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line PVP Column: *Subject*!