The third issue of The Lost Suns, a five issue comic book mini-series based upon Star Wars: The Old Republic, was released this week. The story picks up where it left off in the last installment, with Theron Shan and Jedi Master Ngani Zho heading towards the Vesla system to investigate Imperial activity.
Editor's Note: The following dissection includes several plot spoilers.
- Opens in a bar aboard a large space station in uncharted space known as Port Nowhere.
- Holonet makes mention of the tension between the Republic and Empire, how war can be good for business and how people are profiting now that the Hutts have gotten involved.
- Teff'ith, the Twi'lek who's been tagging along for the ride against her will since Theron hit her with a tranquilizer dart back on Coruscant, mentions that she has worked for Rogun the Butcher, the Migrant Merchants' Guild, and the Black Sun.
- An unidentified smuggler makes mention of an Imperial Grand Admiral who is in charge of deciding who obtains clearance to enter restricted Imperial space.
- Master Zho uses the Jedi mind trick to convince the smuggler he wants to help them obtain such clearance.
- Meanwhile, Theron Shan sneaks around the docking bay, fights off a guard, and uses his cranial implant to obtain navigation charts from one of the ships docked there.
- Theron, Master Zho, and Teff'ith travel to a planetoid on the outskirts of the Vesla system, using the codes obtained on Port Nowhere to successfully gain clearance past Imperial patrols in the area.
- Once on the planet surface, the crew climbs a mountain to find a suitable clearing where they can set up some surveillance equipment to observe what is happening on the other planets in the system.
- As night falls, they are attacked by two creatures that seem to have been starving and desperate. Theron and Master Zho dispatch of them easily.
- As construction of the surveillance device continues, Theron has a flashback to a scene from his youth where Master Zho was showing him the universe through a telescope.
- During a conversation with Teff'ith, Theron reveals more about his failure to become a Jedi and his blindness to the Force.
- Upon completion of the spy telescope, Theron begins to observe the other parts of the Vesla system.
- Vesla Two, the only planet in the system known to be able to support life naturally, is now a wasteland covered in "cosmic maggots" known as shyrack broodlings.
- Vesla Three likewise shows signs of destruction, with an irregular orbit and debris surrounding it.
- Master Zho's memory begins to return. He suggests Theron turn the observation device towards the sun next.
- The sun is surrounded by a huge shipyard with gigantic spires interacting with the sun itself.
- Master Zho explains, "They're eating stars," while Theron interprets the structure to be some sort of large scale solar powered technology.
- As Theron decides they need to make a hasty retreat in order to get the information back in the hands of the S.I.S., Master Zho argues that they need to do something to stop the Imperials immediately.
- As they attempt to jump to light speed, Theron's ship is overtaken by an Imperial ship.
- Captain Eisek of the Valor Prevails recognizes that Theron's clearance does not allow activity in this sector and orders their immediate surrender.
- As the Imperials close in, Master Zho seems to have regained even more of his memory, claiming "I remember everything."
A preview of The Lost Suns Part 3 is now available at the official Dark Horse site. The fourth issue's release is due on September 14. Darth Hater will continue to report on the details as this series unfolds.