Interviewing BioWare’s Daniel Erickson at E3 is becoming an annual tradition of sorts around here. As Star Wars: The Old Republic hits its six month milestone, we decided to question him on some of the recent discussions ruminating around the community as well as further explanation of the upcoming content revealed this week. We gained an insight on what is in store on Makeb, how we attain our new sidekick to our meatbag-ness, an extremely broad hint at the future of space combat, and what is going on behind the scenes with Nightmare mode Operations.
After the behind closed door presentation, our crew at E3 was able to get hands-on BioWare's showing of Star Wars: The Old Republic. The content included a portion of the Heroic plot involving the Dread Masters on Belsavis. Luckily, we were able to record a portion of the demo for your viewing pleasure, enjoy.
Note: The audio is a bit of the mess in a few parts, but such is E3. We advise lowering your volume a bit to not blow out your speakers. For more information on E3, be sure to bookmark our E3 coverage post.
During today’s behind closed doors presentation of Star Wars: The Old Republic at E3, BioWare unveiled a few things of note. In order to bring you some of these details in a timely manner, we’ve compiled them here. Keep in mind that we will update this post throughout the day so be sure to come back later for more.
- 1 million accounts on day 1
- 1.3 game update is called Allies
- Legacy perks
- New social adaptive gear system
- Augmentation system
- Revamped tutorial system
- Group finder
- Ranked Warzones
- 1.3 coming to the PTS tomorrow, can start downloading it now. Update: Confirmed - "Yep. The Public Test Server will be getting Game Update 1.3 tomorrow. Start downloading and patching now! bit.ly/LxsI2v #swtor"
- New Operation called Terror From Beyond takes place on Asation, Dread Masters opened a Hypergate causing massive creatures to come through
- Transfers coming in next few weeks
- Enhancing & revamping nightmare mode operations, entirely new mechanics and content
- New Heroic quest area on Belsavis
- New 8v8 Warzone called Ancient Hypergates takes place on Celine
- New Companion for all classes HK-51, unlocked via new missions, voice actor same as HK-47, upgraded and enhaced from its previous model
- New planet Makeb, hours of content for both factions, has come under the control of the Hutt Cartel in preparation for Hutt rule throughout the galaxy
- Raising level cap which means new abilities
- Free trial up to level 15 coming in July
- Belsavis heroic area is the behind closed doors demo, involves the Dread Masters unleashing horrors on the lowest levels of the prison, players will take on prisoners to combat the Dread Masters' plan, available to both Republic and Empire factions
- No mention of playable Cathar during session
For more information on E3, be sure to bookmark our E3 coverage post.
Updated last: 5:05PM PT
During the Electronic Arts E3 2012 Press Conference, BioWare and EA unveiled their latest content expansion to Star Wars: The Old Republic. The content pack includes a new planet called Makeb, end-game content, a new space combat mission, new playable species Cathar, new companion HK-51, level cap and abilities, and a new Warzone. More coming soon.
To see more content from E3, head on over to our wrapup post. Additional details, images, and video from the presentation after the jump.
Update: The official trailer is now online after the jump.
Similar to last year, Electronic Arts will broadcast their press conference online via the official EA website. While we do not know if EA will show anything new for Star Wars: The Old Republic at the press conference, it is likely they will mention upcoming content. If anything comes out of it, we will bring it to you as it happens.
It is time once again for the Hater team to infiltrate the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, California for all things Star Wars: The Old Republic beginning Tuesday, June 5 through Thursday, June 7. As we do with all events, the entire team will provide continuous coverage from the show floor and around the web within this post, so bookmark and keep checking this throughout the week.
- E3 Floor Hours 10 AM - 6 PM PT
- E3 Floor Hours 10 AM - 6 PM PT
- TBA, Coming Soon
DH E3 Content
- Game Update 1.3 Coverage
- Interview with Daniel Erickson
- Gameplay Demo Hands-on
- Behind Closed Doors Presentation Notes
- BioWare Unveils New Content
Wasteland II Holiday Shirt Giveaway
Win a Wastelands 2 Shirt in time for the Holidays!Ends
Alienware Top 5 Games
Enter for a chance to win an Alienware X51, copies of Assassin's Creed 4, Battlefield 4, CoD Ghosts, FIFA 14, and an awesome in game bundle for World of Warplanes!Ends
Windborne Preview Code Giveaway
Get exclusive access to the Windborne Public Preview!Ends
Mad Max Wiki Game Giveaway
Win a copy of Mad Max for being the best editor!Ends
Garden Warfare Wiki Game Giveaway
Win a copy of Garden Warfare for being the best editor!Ends